(Photo: Conservation intern Hannah Bull on far right)
A Rocha’s Brooksdale Environmental Centre plays host to three terms of interns each year. These young people (usually aged 18 – 40’ish) get hands-on training in both sustainable living and in a particular program area of their choice: agriculture, conservation, education or hospitality.
Interns often have such a wonderful experience that after their initial three-month stay, they sign up for another term to soak up all the goodness and training A Rocha has to offer. One such intern was Hannah Bull. Hailing from the UK and a graduate in the field of environmental sciences, Hannah knew she’d learn a lot about her field of study. Even so, she was surprised by how overall transformational she found her internship experience.
She left us with this pithy list, summing up the myriad of things she learned.
Things I have learnt or observed or reflected on over the past 6 months
(to be read in an English accent, with the occasional dose of dry British wit)
- I learnt the importance of place.
- I see that wonder should be found in everything, little and large.
- I have eaten foods I would never eat at home.
- I have learnt what is it like to be gracious and to receive grace.
- I have discovered the importance of creation care for this beautiful, damaged world we live in.
- Because of that I have grown in my conviction to live more sustainably and be more conscious about what I buy.
- I now know that conservation is the path I want to take vocationally.
- Although I am terrible at remembering birds.
- I have learnt that I am better at presentations than I think.
- I have become more confident over the last 6 months.
- I have learnt that you can make amazing connections and have wonderful relationships with people you have only known for a short period of time.
- I have learnt that community is a wonderful thing.
- I have learnt things about myself through tears and through laughter.
- And things that will stay with me through life.
- And, finally, I have come to realize that A Rocha will have a special place in my heart and I am going to miss this place and community so much. I am a better person because of my time here.
If you or someone you know would like more information on experiencing the goodness of an A Rocha internship, please check out arocha.ca/internships