Explore Outdoors Tuesdays: Fall 2020 After-School Program (Surrey, BC)
September 15 @ 3:00 pm - November 24 @ 4:30 pm PDT| $395
Explore the outdoors after school this fall!
We are passionate about supporting children’s discovery of the awe and wonder of the natural world, deepening their love and knowledge of their place, and helping them to be more confident outdoors. Many studies have shown that spending time in nature has numerous positive emotional, mental, psychological and social benefits, especially on children. According to this article from Psychology Today, some of these benefits are:
- Nature has rejuvenating effects on attention
- Nature relieves stress
- Contact with nature (and animals) boosts self-discipline
- Student motivation, enjoyment, and engagement are better in natural settings
- Time outdoors is tied to higher levels of physical activity and fitness
- Nature may boost learning by providing a more supportive context for learning
- Vegetated settings tend to provide calmer, quieter, safer contexts for learning
- Natural settings seem to foster warmer, more cooperative relations
Who: Our after school program is designed for children from Grades K-7. The group will be split into two smaller groups to engage in outdoor learning, team building, leadership and fun together.
- Team building and leadership
- Salmon habitat and spawning
- Mushroom identification
- Spider and insect identification
- Fall garden harvesting
- Fishing and pond dipping
- Baking flatbread in our cob oven
When: After school from 3pm-4:30pm on Tuesdays, for 11 weeks in Fall (Sept 15 – Nov 24)
Where: All programming will take place at A Rocha Brooksdale: 1620 192 St, Surrey, BC V3Z 9V2. The kids will explore our farm, river, wetland and forest habitats here at Brooksdale.
Why: Kids will have a fully outdoor, fun and safe opportunity to make friends in a small group with very experienced teachers/leaders. Some learning outcomes include:
- Leadership and teamwork
- Confidence and comfort in the outdoors
- Curiosity and wonder in nature
- Deepen appreciation of indigenous knowledge
- Joy and excitement through fun and adventure
- Deeper connections to nature, self and others
How to Register:
- Sign up and make payment through Eventbrite.
- Download and complete the Registration Form and Parent Information & Agreement (Note: You don’t have to submit the forms if your child has attended one of our 2020 Summer Day Camps. )
- Return forms at least 7 days prior to the day you registered for. Please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
IMPORTANT: Your registration is NOT considered complete until we have received the registration form containing medical information and waiver.
CANCELLATIONS & REFUNDS: If the program is cancelled due to Covid-19 provincial health requirements, all fees will be fully refunded to affected families.
Families withdrawing with more than one week’s notice before the start of the After-school program will be refunded the registration minus the Eventbrite administration fee. There will be no refund once the program has started.
Thank you so much for your support and we look forward to seeing your child/children at our After-School Program! Don’t forget to check out our Explore Outdoors: Spring 2021 After-School Program.
Please fill out the Day Camp Registration Form Package and return it to email@example.com
Financial assistance available. Contact us for more information.